Please Incorporate SMTP Mail Server Into MAMP PRO

Any wishes or suggestions for MAMP?
Post here what functions you are still missing for MAMP.

Moderator: severin

ApacheN00bie

Please Incorporate SMTP Mail Server Into MAMP PRO

Post by ApacheN00bie » Tue 6. Mar 2012, 12:53

Hello Dirk,

First, thanks again for a great product. I have been successfully running MAMP Pro on my 27" iMac running Snow Leopard -- then Lion, and now Mountain Lion Preview -- since July of 2011. It has run flawlessly since that time, and I never have to worry about it. It is very stable and reliable.

My biggest wish at this current time is that you incorporate an SMTP mail server into MAMP PRO, so that I can both send and receive POP3 mail within my domains.

Currently, I have to rely upon an SMTP server which is a part of my old WebSTAR server suite setup. Being as WebSTAR is a PPC app, I have to run the SMTP mail server on an old G4 mini-tower running Tiger.

I would really, really like to dump the G4 mini-tower and have the SMTP mail server as a part of MAMP PRO instead on my 27" iMac.

Do you have any plans or intentions of adding this feature to MAMP PRO any time soon?

Thanks again for all of your hard work. I appreciate it.

michaelbarring

Re: Please Incorporate SMTP Mail Server Into MAMP PRO

Post by michaelbarring » Wed 14. Mar 2012, 04:42

My ISP have blocked port 25 for sending mails from PHP, and instead have allowed port 587 or 465 to be used. how do i force php mail function to use port 587 instead of default 25? BTW : i am on OSX 10.6.6 using MAMP PRO

ApacheN00bie

Post by ApacheN00bie » Wed 14. Mar 2012, 15:48

Michael, you may want to try this:

Open your MAMP folder, not your MAMP PRO folder.
Open the "bin" folder.
Open the "php" folder.
Depending on which version of PHP you are using, open that folder.
Open the "conf" folder.
Open the "php.ini" file using BBEdit or some other regular text editor. In case you were not aware of it, this file is the configuration file for PHP.

Unless you have previously altered this file, go down to about line 557 where you will find this:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

Hopefully, changing the port number to 587 or 465 will resolve your problem.

Let me know if it works. If not, just set the port number back to 25 until you find another solution to your problem.

Thanks!

albertodegama

Post by albertodegama » Wed 28. Mar 2012, 11:43

need to test some script using PHP's mail. I'd like to be able to finally get this working locally. I am using MAMP. Is there a way to do this without installing any third party software?

I've done some searching on this but haven't found anything appealing.

Thanks