Default display_errors = On

Any wishes or suggestions for MAMP?
Post here what functions you are still missing for MAMP.

Moderator: severin

webchick

Default display_errors = On

Post by webchick » Sat 13. Sep 2008, 14:24

I understand not having display_errors on a production site, but for development and debugging it's absolutely critical. I daresay that 99% of people who install MAMP are doing so so they can have a local development environment while they build their site, not so they can run a public website 24/7 that handles millions of hits on their MacBook Pro. ;)

Would be a small usability improvement, and one less thing that I need to do to php.ini every time I install it. In searching to see if this had been requested before, I also spotted a number of support requests resulting from the fact that this isn't switched on, so hopefully it would save you folks some time, too.

Thanks!

al3

Re: Default display_errors = On

Post by al3 » Sat 13. Sep 2008, 15:31

I agree. I would have turned error-display on and turned logging off.

For those who want to display errors, find php.ini in MAMP/conf/php5 folder (directory) and scroll down and you will see where to change it. php.ini is well documented and easy to figure out. HOWEVER DO TWO THINGS:

1. Make a backup up of this file ... like php.ini-bak.

2. Do not use TextEdit if you can help it. TextEdit can insert non-printable characters in the file which will kill PHP. Instead get the free TextWrangler program, install that and always use that for all .php, .html, .log files.... all files that should be plain text. The interface to TextWrangler is not very Mac-like, but you will figure it out quickly. Perhaps there is something simpler than TW out there?

Al
http://www.InsuranceSolutions123.com

bernk

Post by bernk » Thu 18. Sep 2008, 00:01

I absolutely agree. Annnd, for some freakin reason I can not get them to turn on!
I have changed the php.ini file to read display_errors = On but when I check using phpinfo(); it still shows them off!?
I've restarted the server as well and no change! Any ideas?!

al3

Post by al3 » Thu 18. Sep 2008, 00:22

Are you sure you changed the right php.ini. There is one for PHP 4 and PHP 5.

Al

kenorb

Post by kenorb » Wed 13. Nov 2013, 10:25

bernk wrote:I absolutely agree. Annnd, for some freakin reason I can not get them to turn on!
I have changed the php.ini file to read display_errors = On but when I check using phpinfo(); it still shows them off!?
I've restarted the server as well and no change! Any ideas?!
Make sure that in MAMP PRO (if you're using), you've enabled Error handling (PHP) and two the main options: 'Display startup errors' and set output 'To: Display'.
'Display startup errors' is equivalent to display_startup_errors and 'To: Display' to display_errors.

ThomasCrook

Post by ThomasCrook » Fri 29. Nov 2013, 10:14

I agree..You must check your PRO...So it may favorably works and helps you to define debug it.. :-)