Slow after Lion upgrade

Report any found bug here. We are grateful for any useful clues.

Moderator: severin

carm

Slow after Lion upgrade

Post by carm » Thu 28. Jul 2011, 01:04

Before most pages including those quite taxing on MySQL would load near instantly. Very little wait between loads. Now any page (including the localhost:8888 Mamp pages) are terribly slow. It feels like a DNS issue, when an address can't be resolved quick enough. Any thoughts?

carm

Re: Slow after Lion upgrade

Post by carm » Thu 28. Jul 2011, 16:32

After switching browsers - it seems Chrome is most effected by this. Safari flies, exactly how Chrome used to run. Both stable build and canary suffer from this issue.

carm

Post by carm » Fri 29. Jul 2011, 01:03

Due to using *.local. Switched to *.dev and everything is snappy.

jessicakoh

Post by jessicakoh » Sun 7. Aug 2011, 17:50

carm wrote:Due to using *.local. Switched to *.dev and everything is snappy.
Could you please explain how did you switch to *.dev?

brock

Post by brock » Thu 11. Aug 2011, 16:52

Holy crap, that seemed to do it for me, too. Any idea what causes this? I did find an article on the Apple support forums (https://discussions.apple.com/message/15834652#15834652) about issues with Active Directory, but I'm not sure if it would be related.

jessicakoh: If you're using MAMP Pro, you can just change the name of the host on the Hosts tab. I can't remember how to do this in regular MAMP, hopefully someone else can chime in.

brock

Post by brock » Thu 11. Aug 2011, 16:58

Quick update: I was just talking to a co-worker and he mentioned that *.local is the Bonjour search domain. So if you set up devsite.local and try to visit it, the OS is looking for another machine assigned to that name. Lion must be implementing this differently than Snow Leopard did, resulting in slow page loads while the OS determines where to look for a response.

Glutnix

Post by Glutnix » Tue 23. Aug 2011, 02:22

That worked for me too!

tl;dr: It seems that whatever.local is handled differently due to Bonjour. Use whatever.dev instead.

wolfchicken

Post by wolfchicken » Sun 25. Sep 2011, 03:37

I gave up on mamp after a rather expensive pro purchase; just won't work with lion. I wasted an entire week trying without any luck. I’ve got rather negative view of this software now.

stoutyhk

Post by stoutyhk » Wed 19. Oct 2011, 13:22

Got the same issue here. Could someone explain how to switch to .local? All I see in my server config window is localhost...

thanks

evan

Post by evan » Sun 18. Dec 2011, 17:32

Hi there...this has been a plague of a problem. Glad to have found this post. I am not a programmer or code guy...just getting along - learning by doing. I would just like to know exactly how to change .local to .dev in order to try out this solution. What file am I changing where? It will take me until spring to edit/develop my new website if I don't solve this 10 seconds to reload issue with MAMP. Thanks in advance.

robertstevenson

Post by robertstevenson » Tue 25. Jun 2013, 09:13

I upgraded to Mountain Lion a couple of weeks ago and things have been running slow ever since. My Macbook Air is fine, but my iMac was just dragging. For a while, I thought it was a hard drive problem, because reading files would randomly take forever. However, the hardware kept testing OK. It really felt like a file read problem, though.

I think I’ve found the answer.

Download the new ML compatible version of Onyx, open it up and rebuild the DYLD cache, and then rebuild all font caches. It’s probably a good idea to run the other maintenance scripts while you’re in there, but it was these two things that did it for me.

The difference is night and day. Large files that were taking around 5 minutes to open before this (they’re 750mb files) now open in 3-4 seconds. I also had an issue where the system caret would take 4-5 seconds to switch focus after switching workspaces. That’s now instantaneous again. Overall system-wide performance seems faster, too. Apps open faster and the UI doesn’t lag.

blue7floyd

Post by blue7floyd » Tue 1. Oct 2013, 11:38

Is this a common problem with Lion upgrade? The reason I asked the question is after I have updated Lion Upgrade in my 2 systems, both PC's went slow. My third PC without the Lion Upgrade is working fine without any errors. Please check it.

Thanks
Windows tech support now