MySQL Server won't start when logging in without admin right

Report any found bug here. We are grateful for any useful clues.

Moderator: severin

tliebig

MySQL Server won't start when logging in without admin right

Post by tliebig » Tue 4. Jul 2006, 10:25

Here's the error I get if I start MAMP from a standard user account without admin rights (Terminal output):

Code: Select all

MacMini:/Applications/MAMP/bin tliebig$ ./startMysql.sh
MacMini:/Applications/MAMP/bin tliebig$ Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Applications/MAMP/db/mysql
/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqld_safe: line 376: /Applications/MAMP/logs/mysql_error_log: Permission denied
/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqld_safe: line 1: /Applications/MAMP/logs/mysql_error_log: Permission denied
STOPPING server from pid file /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.pid
tee: /Applications/MAMP/logs/mysql_error_log: Permission denied
060704 12:20:40  mysqld ended
tee: /Applications/MAMP/logs/mysql_error_log: Permission denied
Apache, however, starts. I assume it has to do with certain right management problems, which should be solvable. Can anyone please fix this?

Torsten

tliebig

Problem resolved in MAMP 1.3.1

Post by tliebig » Mon 24. Jul 2006, 16:23

Just tried MAMP 1.3.1, and it works. For anyone experiencing the same problem as me, I suggest upgrading to v1.3.1, which should fix the problem.

Torsten

ed_dekker

Not here

Post by ed_dekker » Thu 17. Aug 2006, 13:28

I installed it as the admin and all was fine.
I tried to use it as a non-admin and MySQL failed to start.

From the log entries in Console I learned it was a permissions problem. So I changed all in /Applications/MAMP to group 'staff' with 'read & write' permissions (all my users are in 'staff') and now it works.

Next step: get the widget to function correctly. This seems a bit more difficult. I'll report again when I have news.

ed_dekker

Bingo!

Post by ed_dekker » Mon 28. Aug 2006, 18:13

After reading http://forum.mamp.info/viewtopic.php?t=713 I found another one:

var startPage = widget.system("/usr/bin/defaults read com.webEdition.MAMP startPage",null).outputString.replace(/[\r\n]/,"");
should read

var startPage = widget.system("/usr/bin/defaults read com.living-e.MAMP startPage",null).outputString.replace(/[\r\n]/,"");
It now seems to work OK

ed_dekker

Gee, no fix

Post by ed_dekker » Sun 5. Nov 2006, 21:42

Just installed MAMP 1.4.
Got the same errors at first.
Applied the same two fixes and the permission changes. (from http://forum.mamp.info/viewtopic.php?t=713 and http://forum.mamp.info/viewtopic.php?p=1780)
And it works!

:arrow: Yo guys: you make a nice package, but pleeaaase take note of the things we find and fix and include that.

ed_dekker

No fix in 1.4.1 either

Post by ed_dekker » Tue 21. Nov 2006, 13:20

I wrote:Just installed MAMP 1.4.
Got the same errors at first.
Applied the same two fixes and the permission changes. (from http://forum.mamp.info/viewtopic.php?t=713 and http://forum.mamp.info/viewtopic.php?p=1780)
And it works!
Same thing with 1.4.1.

k_mears

Re: MySQL Server won't start when logging in without admin right

Post by k_mears » Tue 4. Nov 2008, 01:38

I get this error when starting 1.7.2 under Leopard 10.5.5

081103 17:29:58 mysqld started
081103 17:29:58 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /Library/Application Support/living-e/MAMP PRO/db/mysql/ is case insensitive
InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 35
InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.
081103 17:29:58 InnoDB: Retrying to lock the first data file
InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 35
InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.

Weirdly, when I start MAMP (not pro), MySQL starts just fine. If I start MAMP first, I can then go back and start MAMP pro and evertyhting is fine. Any hints at what could be doing this? I have tried under a variety of port settings, and they seem to make no difference.

Highway of Life

Post by Highway of Life » Tue 4. Nov 2008, 19:47

MAMP and MAMP pro use different configuration files as well as different directories for the databases, unless you have specified otherwise.
This would by why it works on one and not the other.
- Highway of Life
MAMP Forums Moderator - If you see spam, please use the “report post” button at the top right of the post.

Software Engineer

k_mears

Post by k_mears » Wed 17. Dec 2008, 19:20

MAMP and MAMP pro use different configuration files as well as different directories for the databases, unless you have specified otherwise.
This would by why it works on one and not the other.
This is truly interesting - but can you suggest how to change the situation?

Also - I don't understand how MAMP pro uses a different directory for it's databases, yet, without specifying a change, it finds the databases created under MAMP (std - not pro). Nor can I figure how MAMP pro uses different configuration files, yet when I change MAMP pro settings, it changes them in MAMP (std) as well.

If they are separate - one should always work, and one should always fail - and the answer is a simple settings change (which I have yet to understand how to change). So, I can see how different configuration files and database files would make it work in one, and not the other, but not why MAMP pro will work, but only after launching MAMP (std) first. And what is the significance of the message telling me the mySQL server failed because a is already running?

Finally, according to my php info page, MAMP pro looks at the same location as MAMP for its mySQL info:
e.g. /Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/ ...

at any rate - I was moving along quite nicely with MAMP, but the installation of MAMP pro has caused such confusion that I have to question it's value. I cannot understand how such a relatively simple upgrade can cause so many problems.

I can see I am not the only user running into this, surely someone has an idea? Is this a symptom of systemic problems with MAMP, or a support problem due to the 10.5.6 OS?

I have been told that a complete install of Apache, PHP and mySQL is actually easier than maintaining MAMP. Up to now, I have resisted the complexity - but I cannot see how it could be worse.

joeyduke

Re: MySQL Server won't start when logging in without admin r

Post by joeyduke » Mon 20. Jun 2011, 21:07

Our IT department actually came through one night and changed some permissions on several computers, causing this havok, but the solution I found to work in my case was the following:
Go to the MAMP directory in the Applications folder. Context click and look at the folder permissions. My culprit was here. Click the "+" sign and add a new user to the list. Select your user (you) from the list and add. Make sure you set the user to "Read & Write" permission. Before finishing, highlight your newly added user and click the "gear" icon, then click "Apply to enclosed item". This recursively applies the permissions change through the entire MAMP folder. That worked for me.

I'm on OSX 10.6.7 and MAMP 1.9.4

eberlyjm

Re: MySQL Server won't start when logging in without admin r

Post by eberlyjm » Tue 17. Sep 2013, 19:04

Thank you thank you! Setting the permissions on the MAMP folder (and child folders) fixed the mySQL server (it finally is active in MAMP for the first time). Now… if I can only find a fix for the Apache server (which is also not starting up)…