MAMP Pro 1.8.4 still won't start MySQL

Report any found bug here. We are grateful for any useful clues.

Moderator: severin

lrawlins

MAMP Pro 1.8.4 still won't start MySQL

Post by lrawlins » Thu 11. Feb 2010, 23:45

Even with release 1.8.4 MAMP Pro will not start MySQL.

The only way I am able to get it to work is to launch MAMP first.

The fatal error is:

100211 15:36:00 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.host' doesn't exist

So what is this missing table?

Something is wrong if the free version works fine and the "Pro" version I paid for doesn't.

I have uninstalled and re-installed with no success, I have also repaired my databases to no avail. I always get the same error unless MAMP is running first.

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks

Highway of Life

Re: MAMP Pro 1.8.4 still won't start MySQL

Post by Highway of Life » Tue 23. Mar 2010, 00:36

What process did you use to reinstall the application? Simply replacing the MAMP Pro application will not actually reinstall. MAMP Pro stores files in: /Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/ and ~/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO
You would need to remove those files to do a true reinstall. But be careful, if you have valuable information stored in your database(s), they would be contained in those directories.

When you just use MAMP, it uses the files in /Applications/MAMP/, that’s why it works for one and not the other. Since you start MAMP from the MAMP (non-pro), it creates the PID file from the MySQL installation in /MAMP/.

I do not know why the error exists. Could require some Googling to find out. But true reinstallation, if you choose that method, may get you the results you are after.
- Highway of Life
MAMP Forums Moderator - If you see spam, please use the “report post” button at the top right of the post.

Software Engineer

jenlampton

Re: MAMP Pro 1.8.4 still won't start MySQL

Post by jenlampton » Wed 12. Jun 2013, 07:20

I'm Having the same problem. I think it might be related to the mysql table itself being missing (as per some google research) but since I can't run mysql to be sure it's just a wild guess.